The Nomads' Network The Nomads' Academy The Quay 3G gap futsal gap Connah's Quay Nomads FC on Facebook gap Connah's Quay Nomads FC on Twitter gap Connah's Quay Nomads FC on YouTube gap Connah's Quay Nomads FC on Audioboom
Ryan Wignall slots beyond Dave Roberts in the Airbus goal to make it 5-1 © NCM Media
The Nomads5-1Airbus UK Broughton FC

The Nomads

Airbus UK Broughton FC

Nathaniel MG Cup
02.10.18 | 7:30pm
Jack Kenny celebrates his opening goal with Jay Owen © NCM Media
The Nomads5-1Airbus UK Broughton FC

The Nomads

Airbus UK Broughton FC

Nathaniel MG Cup
02.10.18 | 7:30pm
Craig Jones opens his Nomads account © NCM Media
The Nomads5-1Airbus UK Broughton FC

The Nomads

Airbus UK Broughton FC

Nathaniel MG Cup
02.10.18 | 7:30pm
Rob Hughes fires in a thunderbolt from the edge of the box © NCM Media
The Nomads5-1Airbus UK Broughton FC

The Nomads

Airbus UK Broughton FC

Nathaniel MG Cup
02.10.18 | 7:30pm
Rob Hughes doubles his tally early in the second half © NCM Media
The Nomads5-1Airbus UK Broughton FC

The Nomads

Airbus UK Broughton FC

Nathaniel MG Cup
02.10.18 | 7:30pm


Report by Will Catterall

A five-star performance from Connahs Quay Nomads saw them defeat local rivals Airbus UK by five goals to one in the Nathaniel MG Cup second round.

Jack Kenny opened the scoring before Craig Jones, Rob Hughes and Ryan Wignall got on the scoresheet with James Hooper sealing a consolation for Airbus.

Nomads came into the game in rich form, having won their last three Welsh Premier League games with comprehensive wins over Newtown, Llandudno, and Carmarthen Town, to go top of the table.

They were returning to domestic cup action for the for the first time since May, when they lifted the JD Welsh Cup for the first time in their history following a 4-1 win over Aberystwyth Town.

The evening’s competition was however the Nathaniel MG Cup, of which they have reached the semi finals three consecutive times to be knocked out.

The game presented a new opportunity to go one better, and it started with a clash against derby rivals Airbus. It was also a historic moment for referee and ex-Wales international Cheryl Foster who took charge of a Nomads’ game for the first time.

The Wingmakers came into the game as one of Wales’ top sides, sitting first place in the Huws Gray Alliance with an impressive 100% record.

They started the likes of Lewis Buckley, Ryan Edwards, and Phil Clark, with Nomads retaining much of their previous starting eleven with Callum Morris, Jay Owen and goalkeeper Jon Rushton all starting.

Nomads took control of the proceedings from the start, with Jack Kenny scoring the opener after just 14 minutes.

After Jay Owen beat the offside trap to run clear at the Nomads’ goal, he shot at keeper Dave Roberts at close range, with Robert’s save going straight to Jack Kenny who tapped in to score his first Nomads goal.

Waves of scintillating Nomads attacks followed, with Declan Poole making a pacy run down the wing to set up Rob Hughes, who had an eight yard effort denied by a low save from Roberts on 15 minutes.

After Michael Bakare and Jack Kenny saw Nomads go close again, Craig Jones nearly scored after a slick dummy turn from Bakare split open the Airbus defence.
In the 26th minute Jones’ efforts on the right wing paid off, when he broke free on goal from a Rob Hughes pass before slotting low to score his first goal at the club.

Nomads’ intensity up front only grew, with the tenacious Rob Hughes shooting just wide on an angle on 28 minutes.

With 30 minutes played, Nathan Woolfe and Callum Morris were both delivering great balls into the area as the likes of Kenny and Bakare looked to add to Nomads’ goal tally.

In the 38th minute Michael Bakare couldn’t be held by the Airbus defence, running into the area before dragging a pass back to the penalty spot, where Morris and Jones got tangled to prevent one another from getting a shot away.

On 42 minutes the goal of the game came, with Rob Hughes hitting a thunderbolt strike off the underside of the crossbar from 18 yards out to make it 3-0 to Nomads at half time.

It took just three minutes for Hughes to seal his brace after the restart, when he finished low into the bottom left corner from 10 yards out.

On 55 minutes, Airbus scored a consolation when a good cross from Gilloway was sent in at close range by James Hooper.

On the hour mark Andy Morrison made changes, replacing Jack Kenny and Craig Jones with the attacking duo of Andy Owens and Ryan Wignall.

The Nomads kept on causing problems for their neighbours, with Rob Hughes seeing one of his relentless efforts for a hat trick blocked before Declan Poole hit the crossbar from a half volley assisted by Owens.

Nomads’ fifth came through Wignall, who darted into the Airbus area to beat the keeper at close range.

Nomads’ final change saw academy product Joe Sullivan make his first team debut when he replaced Nathan Woolfe, and the young midfielder got in the thick of the action as he helped drive Nomads’ attacking moves which were continuing to dominate the game.

With Nomads’ dominance restricting Airbus for the final ten minutes, full time saw them run out 5-1 winners and extend their run of consecutive derby wins to six.


Starting XI
Jon Rushton
Danny Holmes
John Disney
Nathan Woolfe Nathan Woolfe was subbed off
Declan Poole
Craig Jones Craig Jones scored 1 goals Craig Jones was subbed off
Callum Morris
Jay Owen
Rob Hughes Rob Hughes scored 2 goals
Michael Bakare
Jack Kenny Jack Kenny scored 1 goals Jack Kenny was subbed off

Eric Green
Laurence Wilson
Ryan Wignall Ryan Wignall scored 1 goals Ryan Wignall was subbed on
Andy Owens Andy Owens was subbed on
Joe Sullivan Joe Sullivan was subbed on

The Nomads' Goalscorers

Rob Hughes
(2)Craig Jones
Jack Kenny
Ryan Wignall

Airbus UK Broughton FC's Scorers

James Hooper


JD Sportsgap personnelColeg CambriaMacron Store WrexhamLifestyle FitnessS4CMitrePrince's Gate Spring WaterSport RadarTenovus Cancer CareGB Sports TherapyRadio DeesideCollister and Glover