p The Nomads' Network The Nomads' Academy The Quay 3G gap futsal gap Connah's Quay Nomads FC on Facebook gap Connah's Quay Nomads FC on Twitter gap Connah's Quay Nomads FC on YouTube gap Connah's Quay Nomads FC on Audioboom
The Nomads0-1The New Saints FC

The Nomads

The New Saints FC

JD Welsh Premier League
24.02.18 | 2:00pm

Attendance: 222
The Nomads0-1The New Saints FC

The Nomads

The New Saints FC

JD Welsh Premier League
24.02.18 | 2:00pm

Attendance: 222
The Nomads0-1The New Saints FC

The Nomads

The New Saints FC

JD Welsh Premier League
24.02.18 | 2:00pm

Attendance: 222


Report by Will Catterall

Connah’s Quay Nomads lost out by one goal to nil against The New Saints in the JD Welsh Premier League at Deeside Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

A solitary Jon Routledge goal at the end of the first half was enough for TNS to take home all three points despite a strong performance from Nomads.

The game saw Nomads come off the back of a disappointing result at Bangor City, where despite dominating much of the game they lost out 1-0.

Andy Morrison made two changes from that game, starting Ryan Wignall and George Horan in place of Jake Phillips and Callum Morris. Rob Hughes was included on the bench, giving him the prospect of making his Deeside debut.

The game began and although both Nomads and TNS looked to create early chances there was little action in the opening stages.

There were claims for a penalty from Nomads in the third minute, when Declan Poole went down from a challenge inside the TNS area, but referee Dean John waved the appeals away.

In the eighth minute, Dean Ebbe of TNS sent a close range header towards goal which was collected by Danby.

In the 14th minute Nomads showed their attacking desire with Declan Poole making a good run down the wing, and four minutes later TNS proved to be just as dangerous when Ryan Brobbel sent an effort over the Nomads’ crossbar from 22 yards out.

With 30 minutes played it was deadlock at Deeside despite Nomads doing well to create and target the TNS final third with set pieces.

In the 34th minute Ryan Wignall had spectators on the edge of their seats when he intercepted a defender and crossed towards Wilde who was waiting in the area. The cross evaded Wilde but went to Bakare, who sent a second cross to Wilde which was headed just over.

Wilde was again in the thick of the action in the 39th minute when his header from six yards from a Pearson free kick was held by Harrison.

Just as the game looked to be going goalless at half time, Jon Routledge got on the end of a slick TNS ball which allowed him to slot into the net from six yards.

Nomads would go in at half time feeling hard done by as they trailed having matched the visitors throughout the first half.

Changes were rung with Declan Poole and Kai Edwards replaced by Jake Phillips and Andy Owens.

The Nomads came flying out in the second half and went agonisingly close to equalising in the first five minutes after the restart.

After aerial play in the TNS final third, Michael Wilde had a header cleared off the line by a TNS defender before a second header looked to be trickling across the line, only for Harrison to save it.

Defender George Horan was soon called up to a more attacking role, having two consecutive headers dealt with by the TNS defence on 55 minutes.

Substitutes Phillips and Owens then combined, with Phillips aiming his specialist long throws at the 6ft Owens – but the resulting header in the 59th minute went over the crossbar.

Nomads’ third substitution saw Rob Hughes make his Deeside debut as he replaced Ryan Wignall on the left wing.

As the game entered its latter stages Nomads ramped up pressure on the TNS goal, with Andy Owens priming a shot from 10 yards in the TNS area only to be tackled at the last second.

In the midst of Nomads’ attacks The New Saints were looking to create chances, but John Danby was rarely tested in the second half thanks to Nomads’ almost constant pressure.

The game nearly changed in the 80th minute, when from a Jake Phillips throw in Michael Wilde sent a header towards the left side of goal. The effort looked sure to go in, but a full stretch save from Paul Harrison denied Nomads’ an equaliser in style.

In the 87th minute Nomads had another close chance, when from a corner ball Jay Owen sent an effort just over the goal, which went out for a goal kick after bouncing off the crossbar.

Following his game-changing save, Saints goalkeeper Paul Harrison went from hero to zero after Dean John showed him a straight red for alleged dissent. The influential stopper will miss TNS’ next game in the JD Welsh Cup against Nomads next week, at Deeside.

Thanks to the stoppage for the red card, a minimum of five minutes additional time was indicated by fourth official Mark Petch.
During this time the Nomads packed into the TNS area before Rob Hughes had a cutting pass go close to goal before being cleared.

After five additional minutes full time was confirmed and Nomads were left to rue their luck after a positive performance had yielded no return on points.

The result means Nomads will either remain third or go fourth in the league, dependent on the result of Bala Town vs Cardiff Met.

Andy Morrison’s side have the chance to avenge their league defeat, as they again meet TNS in the JD Welsh Cup quarter finals next week at Deeside Stadium for a 2:30pm kick off.


Starting XI
John Danby
Kai Edwards Kai Edwards was subbed off
George Horan
Mike Pearson
Sean Smith
Danny Harrison
Ryan Wignall Ryan Wignall was subbed off
Declan Poole Declan Poole was subbed off
Jay Owen
Michael Bakare
Michael Wilde

Jonny Spittle
Andy Owens Andy Owens was subbed on
Nathan Woolfe
Jake Phillips Jake Phillips was booked Jake Phillips was subbed on
Rob Hughes Rob Hughes was subbed on

The New Saints FC's Scorers

Jon Routledge


Match Highlights from The Nomads 0-1 The New Saints FC
The Nomads 0-1 The New Saints FC


JD SportsNike Footballgap personnelColeg CambriaLifestyle FitnessQueensferry SportsMitreS4CPrince's Gate Spring WaterSport RadarTenovus Cancer CareGB Sports Therapy