Nomads take a point from Jenner Park clash

Barry Town United

1 - 1

Connah's Quay Nomads

Barry Town United vs Connah's Quay Nomads
JD Cymru Premier
Saturday 23rd February 2019 | 7:30pm
Jenner Park, Barry | Attendance: 384

Connah’s Quay Nomads played out a 1-1 draw against Barry Town United at Jenner Park on Saturday evening in a live Sgorio game.

A 15th minute Jonathan Hood goal sent the hosts ahead, but a 25th minute Michael Bakare strike ensured the spoils would be shared in the vital Championship Conference fixture.

•         Hood strike saw Barry take lead
•         Bakare’s curling effort sent Nomads level
•         Nomads pile pressure on in the second half
•         The draw keeps Nomads top of the JD Welsh Premier

Nomads came into the crunch JD Welsh Premier fixture in strong form, having won their first two phase two fixtures and become the first ever Welsh club to reach the final of the Irn Bru Cup after beating Scottish League Two side Edinburgh City 5-4 on penalties in the previous week.

Andy Morrison named a similar starting eleven from that game, with his only change seeing Priestley Farquharson start in place of suspended club captain George Horan, who handed the armband over to Callum Morris.

Barry Town, who sat third and just three points below Nomads, also started a strong line up including striker Jonathan Hood who converted a 96th minute free kick to seal a 2-2 draw at TNS’ Park Hall last Saturday.

Just minutes into the encounter, Nomads utilised Jake Phillips’ long throw ins, of which the first was sent into the Barry area in the third minute, with the defence nulling the aerial threat.

In the fifth minute, Barry’s Newport County-loanee Momodou Touray showed his pace with a run down the left wing, with Michael Bakare making his own dart to the byline in the sixth.

The game’s quick pace continued, and although Nomads won three throw ins inside the first 15 minutes, it was Barry Town who opened the scoring with a slick counter attack.

Jordan Cotterill darted into the Nomads’ area, passing to Hood, who with space sent a low driving effort past keeper John Danby from around eight yards out.

Despite trailing, Andy Morrison’s side stayed well in the encounter as they chased down every ball in search of an equaliser, seen in the 23rd minute when pressure from Callum Morris won Nomads another throw in near Barry’s final third.

And their pressure paid off, when a free kick launched into the Barry area caused a mix up between goalkeeper Lewis, who was off his line, and one of his defenders.

This allowed Bakare a shot on goal from around 15 yards out, which he sent curling into the top right corner.

Boosted by their equaliser, Connah’s Quay continued to match up their hosts with the likes of Andy Owens and Bakare chasing down the Barry defence. In the 37th minute, they hit the woodwork when an Adam Barton header from a John Danby free kick went off the left post.

In the 41st minute, Nomads were handed a good chance when they were awarded a free kick on the right wing near Barry’s byline, which Bakare whipped just over the crossbar.

The visitors won two more corners before the interval to end the first half on a positive note, having come from 1-0 down to be back on level terms after 45 minutes.

The second half began in similar fashion to the first, as both sides rushed to establish themselves on the game.

Nomads restarted strongly, winning a throw in and corner just three minutes into the restart, with Danny Holmes having an eight yard effort from a Phillips’ corner blocked.

The pressure continued and triggered a frenzy in the Barry area, with a chipped effort from Wilde coming off the crossbar before the defence managed to clear.

After the hour mark, Gavin Chesterfield’s side hit back by also hitting the woodwork, when a 30 yard effort from Chris Hugh went off the post to deny him a spectacular goal.

In the 68th minute Nomads made their first change, replacing Andy Owens with Rob Hughes as they looked to take the lead in South Wales.

They were then denied by the woodwork for the third time of the night, when a 30 yard strike from Danny Harrison in the 69th minute went off the right post to again stop Nomads scoring.

The chances were coming thick and fast for Nomads, with a Jake Phillips throw in falling to Bakare who had an effort go wide at close range.

The home side’s goalscorer Hood then had one of Barry’s chances of the second half, sending a 25 yard effort just wide of the Nomads’ goal.

Nomads’ second substitution saw Jake Phillips come off for Jay Owen as the game entered its final 10 minutes.

And Nomads dominated the closing phase of the game, winning seven set pieces as they targeted a late winner. In the 84th minute they won a corner kick, which would lead to an additional three corner kicks being taken, but none could break down a stubborn Barry defence.

Four additional minutes of injury time were played at the end of the game, but it couldn’t separate the sides, with a final 35 yard free kick for Nomads being dealt with by keeper Lewis.

The draw maintains Nomads’ position at the top of the JD Welsh Premier League as they prepare to face Bala Town at Deeside this coming Tuesday 26th February for a 7:45pm kick off.

Match report by Will Catterall

Michael Wilde challenges for the ball in the Barry area | © Barry Town United

Michael Wilde challenges for the ball in the Barry area | © Barry Town United

Adam Barton goes up for a header | © Barry Town United

Adam Barton goes up for a header | © Barry Town United

John Disney looks to stop Kayne McLaggon | © Barry Town United

John Disney looks to stop Kayne McLaggon | © Barry Town United

Video Highlights