JD Cymru Premier


Nomads down Druids at Deeside

Connah's Quay Nomads

3 - 1

Cefn Druids AFC

Connah's Quay Nomads vs Cefn Druids AFC
JD Cymru Premier
Tuesday 16th October 2018 | 7:45pm
Deeside Stadium, Connah's Quay | Attendance: 214

Connah’s Quay Nomads came from one nil down to defeat Cefn Druids 3-1 in the JD Welsh Premier League on Tuesday evening.

Nathan Peate sent Druids ahead on seven minutes, but second half strikes from Michael Bakare, Rob Hughes and Callum Morris ensured a Nomads victory.

  • Danby makes 100th club start
  • Peate scores for Druids before they have penalty saved
  • Bakare fired Nomads level after restart
  • A stunning strike from Hughes and Morris goal seal the win

The game came just 72 hours after the Nomads’ last game, when they defeated NIFL Premiership Coleraine 2-0 in the Irn Bru Cup third round in a dramatic evening at Deeside.

Whilst preparing for their clash with Druids, they found their quarter final opponents were Queens Park FC, confirming a trip to the iconic home of Scottish football for Andy Morrison’s side.

Three changes were made to Nomads’ starting line up, with John Danby returning from injury to make his 100th start for the club.

Laurence Wilson and Michael Bakare earned calls up, with Andy Owens starting on the bench.

Cefn Druids announced a line up consisting of former Bangor strike Dean Rittenburg, in form James Davies and ex-Nomad Matty Owen.

The game got off to a bad start for Nomads, who went down after seven minutes, when Nathan Peate found himself free infront of goal from seven yards to slot past Danby.

On 10 minutes Druids were handed the chance to double their lead when referee Huw Jones awarded a penalty after a challenge from Danny Holmes.

Neil Ashton stepped up, but Danby saved his low and centred effort to keep the score at 0-1.

Nomads were attacking the Druids’ end at every opportunity as they hunted for an equaliser. Despite their pressure, they struggled to create a clinical chance on goal, with Bakare heading wide from a corner on 19 minutes.

With 20 minutes played, captain George Horan was forced off due to injury with Craig Jones replacing him.

Jones got involved at both ends as Nomads both attacked the Druids end and held off their tenacious forwards. On 29 minutes, it took a bicycle kick from him to ensure a corner from the visitors didn’t cross the goal line.

Nomads’ pressure almost paid off in the 37th minute, when a well taken 25 yard effort from Laurence Wilson struck Druids’ right post.

Wilson was again involved in one of Nomads’ best chances of an equaliser, when he took their umpteenth corner of the half which was headed goalwards by Wilde only for it to be parried away by goalkeeper Michael Jones.

At half time, Nomads used their remaining subs, with Ryan Wignall and Michael Wilde departing for Andy Owens and Rob Hughes.

Nomads immediately pressured Druids after the restart, finally finding the equaliser on 52 minutes. Craig Jones took the ball along the byline, dragging a pass back to Bakare who sent a powerful effort in from eight yards out.

Just four minutes later, Rob Hughes scored a sensational goal to give Nomads the lead. After his free kick from 25 yards hit the wall, he found the ball on the edge of the Druids’ area to send the ball into the top left corner.

Although Nomads were in front, Druids remained a threat, with Aaron Simpson sending a close range effort just wide after the hour mark.

Michael Bakare and Andy Owens nearly pulled off a great goal on 69 minutes, when the former sent a pin point ball up to Owens, who volleyed the effort just wide.

Cefn Druids were dealt a blow on 75 minutes, when their captain Ashton was shown a red card after receiving a second yellow for blocking a Nomads run on the right wing.

After forcing another corner, Nomads put more distance between themselves and Druids when Callum Morris converted Wilson’s delivery with a low strike from six yards on 80 minutes.

On 83 minutes Michael Bakare again set up Andy Owens, dropping his shoulder to completely lose Simpson in the midfield before sending a cross to Owens which he volleyed over the goal.

For the remainder of the game Nomads showed great game management to see out the final five minutes plus three of injury time.

The result was the second time Nomads had came back from a goal down against Druids to win at Deeside, having come back from 0-1 down to beat Huw Griffiths’ side with nine men in March.

The victory sends Nomads five points clear the top of the JD Welsh Premier League, setting up a showdown with The New Saints on Saturday, who could reduce the gap to two points when they face Llandudno FC on Wednesday evening.

Nomads face TNS on Saturday 20 October for a 19:30 kick off, with the game streamed live on S4C.

Match report by Will Catterall

Video Highlights